WWII Watch Office stands in the centre of the northern side of the main runway industrial heritage. The majority of these types of buildings on airfields have been removed.
Latter known as a Control Tower, the visual control room [VCR] was added to bring it in line with air traffic control – steel framed clad with anti-glare glass. Precast concrete stair internally.
Designed by the architect: Frank H Lambert and has the Dwg No: 12779/41. It is a rare example that includes the latter Air Traffic Control (ATC) to second floor.
The monument stands in front of the Watch Office/control tower that is located to the north of the main runway in the centre of the WWII and latter aircraft development industrial sector. A large six sided memorial carved with 3 maple leaves, 3 regimental insignia and an inscription:-
Opened by Lieutenant AGL McNaughton GOC of First Canadian Army and handed over to Air Marshall H Edwards Air Officer Commanding in Chief RCAE overseas for the use of the royal Canadian Air Force 16 Oct 1942.
These were the Royal Canadian Royal Airforce , Royal Canadian Engineers, Canadian Forestry Corps and First Canadian Army.
Other monuments by the sculptor Stephen Trenka include one at Young Street (Leatherhead Bypass) and at Young Street in Toronto, Canada. (Trenka was a designer of coins including the reverse of the Canadian Dollar).