The Dunsfold underground structure was constructed as a result of the Royal Observer Corps (ROC) nuclear reporting role during the Cold War between 1961 and 1991. It was built to a standard design consisting of a 14” deep access shaft, monitoring room and a toilet/store. The first post had been on Cranleigh Common before the construction of this subterranean chamber known as 52 Dunsfold (TQ01823580) which reported to the headquarters at Horsham (TQ17882979). The Royal Observer Corps (ROC) was a civilian defence organisation operated by mainly civilian volunteers.
The first prototype post was built at Farnham, Surrey in 1956. The final trials were conducted on the usefulness of the underground posts by the end of September. There were to be two crews of four personnel for staffing these posts; at Farnham they trailed 2 ROC and 2 Home Office Scientific Advisory Branch. They were sealed inside with rations and sleeping arrangements. A few changes included amendments to the hatch and air ventilation louvres.
The Dunsfold ROC Post was Grade II Listed by Historic England in 2017.
Since application for a Conservation Area and Waverley Borough Council’s rejection there have been a number of assets considered for Listed Building Status. Historic England have since designated 5 Listed Structures on the Airfield site:
Primemeads Farm – Grade II
VSTOL Blast Pads – Grade II
Engine Running Pens – Grade II
Royal Observer Corps Monitoring Post – Grade II
Canadian War Memorial – Grade II
Please note: The aerodrome is private land and an active airfield. Access is not permitted to some of the buildings and features and we strongly discourage access without permission.