The battle headquarters at Dunsfold is the most common type (Air ministry drawing 11008⁄41 ) was originally erected at bomber stations but appears to have been adopted by all RAF Commands sometime after 1942. Dunsfold’s is semi-sunken with the top half of the structure covered over with soil. It is on a high point overlooking the south side of the airfield, alongside a public footpath and outside the present perimeter fence. The structure is heavily overgrown although the observation cupola is clearly visible from the footpath. The access stairway has been backfilled with soil but some of this has been dug out again and it is possible to squeeze in to the lobby. Internally the structure is clean and dry although stripped of any original fittings.
The design consisted of a network of five underground rooms entered by steps at one end leading down into a lobby. Straight ahead was a latrine and to the left the office; passing through the office there was a door in front to the sleeping quarters and a door to the right into mess room. A door on the right hand corner of the mess room led to the emergency escape ladder and from the bottom of the ladder there were three steps up to an observation cupola which was built 3 feet higher than the other rooms. The cupola was 6’ square and projected three feet above the ground with a thick re-enforced roof and at ground level, a 2” wide observation slit running all the way around to allow the Local Defence Officer a 360 degree view. Text by Nick Catford of www.Subbrit.org.uk
Please note: The aerodrome is private land and an active airfield. Access is not permitted to some of the buildings and features and we strongly discourage access without permission.