The Bomb Stores Site has two access roads with seven concrete hard standings in between and earth banks separating each hard standings or bays. These bays were used to store the bombs which were placed on wooden frames. The earth banks that separated each bay gave a degree of isolation should there be an accident and these are still visible. Continue reading
This aircraft hangar was designed by the notable British airport architect Graham R Dawbarn (1893-1976). The Blister hangar is an arched aircraft cover and was manufactured by Miskins and Sons. Originally made of wooden ribs and clad with corrugated metal sheets.
This example has a steel frame and so may be an ‘over blister’ or ‘extra over blister’ variant.